What day is garbage day?
The City of Darien is in charge of the garbage and recycling contract for our area. Currently, they contract with Veolia Environmental. You can visit their web site for more information on garbage collection in our area.
At Reflections, our garbage day is Thursday. If there is a holiday in a particular week, the garbage will be picked up on Friday. Garbage cans and recycling bins must be stored in your garage until garbage day. We ask that you place these items at the street no earlier than 6 p.m. the night before. They must be collected and put away by the end of garbage day.
Stickers: Darien participates in a “bag and tag” garbage program. This means you will need to purchase garbage stickers to place on your bag or through the handle of your garbage can. These stickers are available from the city or local grocery stores (ask at the checkout line).
A few other things to keep in mind:
- All hard containers — garbage cans and recycling bins — must have your address displayed on them.
- Additionally, all garbage cans must have a lid securely fastened when the trash is placed at the curb for pick up. Residents are responsible for garbage that blows around due to improperly secured lids, not tying down recyclables, or animals ripping into bags.
- Residents are strongly encouraged to purchase 33-gallon hard containers for their trash. We do live near wetlands and with the wild animals in the area, garbage bags are frequently torn into.
- “Bulk Items” require two garbage stickers to be picked up and can be put out for normal pickup. Examples of bulk items are sofas, love seats, chairs, tables and microwaves.
- “White Goods” require five garbage stickers and you must call ARC one day in advance to notify them of the pickup. White goods include refrigerators, ranges, stoves, freezers, air conditioners, water heaters, and other large appliances. These require more stickers because they need to be disassembled by hand due to environmentally harmful materials.